The Family Art Program engages the Red Poppy Art House’s surrounding neighborhood, contributing to its vibrancy by offering free programming to the public every Saturday afternoon. An outdoor open forum, the Family Art Program uses the exterior south wall of the Art House and its wide adjacent sidewalk where volunteers bring out an array of furniture and art supplies, and organize a different activity for participants each week. Please come join us!
Every Saturday 1pm-4pm
Red Poppy Art House - 23rd @ Folsom
The program is designed as a way to engage not only participating families but each and every passerby with its physical presence at our residential intersection. The program most often includes (but is not limited to) children and youth ages 4-17 as well as adults 18+ living in the Mission District.
Family Art’s Mission:
The project aspires to bring the community’s children, families and youth together to partake in artistic endeavors and share the transformative power of art.
Family Art encourages creative and educational experiences in an open, outdoor forum in the Mission, while promoting empowerment, transformation and greater dialogue among community members. Family Art also offers a youth leadership/mentoring program, empowering new art leaders to replicate community-arts work in other scenarios.
The Family Art utilizes three strategies for social transformation:
1. Saturday art activities: Every Saturday we offer a free space where parents and children can drop in and enjoy fun activities. During the three hour period from 1-4pm, parents and children can explore their creative impulses with no limitation. The activities that the family art provides are mostly focused on the parent and child interaction within a broader framework of social & diversity awareness.
2. Volunteer & Youth Development: In this area the family art focuses on empowering leaders that can empower other leaders through the transformative power of art. The family art offers volunteers and youth engaged in the program leadership & organizational trainings as well as free movement, music & art workshops. The volunteers & youth are invited to a monthly gathering to network with volunteers, artist, community leaders and organizers.Volunteers take leadership in the creation of the art activities as well as organizers for the program and participate as MAPP curators and performers.
- Mission Arts & Performance Project (MAPP): While participating in all six yearly MAPP festivals, the Poppy’s staff assists the MAPP’s organizational team through providing administrative and leadership support.
- Artist Salons: An informal time at the Poppy outside of “programming” – a gathering for relationship building among artists, encouraging dialog, interconnection, and new ideas
- Partnerships: We partner with local organizations who also work with families, youth and children who are interested in volunteering and/or bringing their participants to perform during family art.
Family Art Crew:
Director: Johanna Suarez
Ana Maria Rincon
Become a Family Member!
For volunteer opportunities e-mail: email@example.com
Join Our Mailing List
May 23, 2013 7:30 pmPrice: $10-$20
May 24, 2013 7:30 pmPrice: $12-15
May 25, 2013 1:00 pmPrice: Free
May 25, 2013 7:30 pmPrice: $10-$20
May 31, 2013 7:30 pmPrice: $12-15