*This internship is currently closed.
The Red Poppy Art House is a multidisciplinary arts space that offers cultural experiences which empower and transform society through engaging communities in performance, visual arts, and other integrative initiatives. We seek to develop and implement an innovative and sustainable model for small-scale arts presenting. As a performance space, the Red Poppy Art House presents a diverse and international program of artists working in both traditional and contemporary performing arts.
The Poppy is currently seeking enthusiastic individuals to join our PR/Social Media Internship program for the Winter-Spring term. Selected candidates will gain experience in artist coordination, public relations, social media marketing, web management, and event management. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone educated in the arts looking for hands-on experience to build their practical skill set applicable to many different fields. Interns will work closely with the Director of Performance & PR. This internship is unpaid.
- Artist coordination: Assist with artist communications and the coordination of PR/marketing content.
- Media relations: Draft and submit press releases and pitches to the media; conduct research on expanding and diversifying our list of press contacts.
- Web management: Create and manage event pages on Facebook and local calendar listings.
- Social outreach: Develop regular content for Facebook, Instagram, and other social networking platforms to engage and grow audiences.
- Space engagement: Attend weekly PR team meetings (schedule TBD) and volunteer for a performance once a month.
- Degree and/or experience in Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, Media, Journalism, or a related field
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
- Keen attention to detail for proofreading, editing, and fact-checking
- Experience with Google Apps and social media platforms
- Consistency in meeting deadlines and following up on emails
- Background in the arts and/or interest in becoming a part of a vibrant community of artists, arts professionals, cultural activists, and volunteers
- Commitment of 8-10 hours per week (with flexibility) over a six-month period. Intern must work on-site at least once a week and sign up for a performance volunteer shift once a month.
- Free attendance for all (150) annual performances at the Red Poppy Art House, as well as a selection of performances by other arts-presenting organizations which offer a limited number of comps.
- Access to the Red Poppy’s Professional Development Track Speaker Series featuring artists, arts leaders, community organizers, and philanthropic representatives that span the Bay Area arts ecology and beyond.
- The chance to become part of a vibrant, socially engaged, heart-centered community in the arts, one that has a beautiful little space that will come to feel like your second home.
We are no longer accepting applications for the PR/Social Media Internship at this time and will reopen the position in the summer. For more information on the program, please contact email@example.com.