*This internship is currently closed.
Much of the Red Poppy Art House’s work centers on a dynamic performance program that presents over 150 performances annually, spanning disciplines from traditional to contemporary forms. These events are produced by a cohort of arts-presenting hosts, half of whom are in training as part of the Poppy’s Professional Development Track and Internship Programs.
The Poppy is currently seeking enthusiastic individuals to join our Community-Engaged Arts Presenting & Event Production Internship program. Selected candidates will gain experience in technical training, event production, community engagement and public speaking, to personnel management, donor asks, and basic accounting. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone educated in the arts looking for hands-on professional development experience to build their practical skill set applicable to many different fields. Interns will work closely with the Operations Director, Volunteer Coordinator, and team of Lead Hosts. This position includes stipend support upon completion of training.
- Training: Interns are required to complete nine (9) performance training shifts over a three-month period. Interns are trained by a “Lead Host” in performance setup of seating and sound equipment, volunteer management, presentation of the artist, fundraising appeals, and financial accounting of admissions.
- Hosting event productions: On completion of training, interns qualify as a “Lead Host” and are able to receive a small honorarium per shift. Two to three shifts are required per month.
- Professional Development sessions: Interns are required to attend a monthly professional development session on hosting and event production practices.
- Background or interest in the arts, event production, or related fields
- Excellent public speaking and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail for crafting the performance space
- Ability to maintain order and calm in a high-paced environment
- Regular access to email and consistency in following up
- Interest in becoming a part of a vibrant community of artists, arts professionals, cultural activists, and volunteers
- Commitment of 20 hours per month over a nine-month period
- Spanish speakers a plus
- Free attendance for all (150) annual performances at the Red Poppy Art House, as well as a selection of performances by other arts-presenting organizations which offer a limited number of comps.
- Access to the Red Poppy’s Professional Development Track Speaker Series featuring artists, arts leaders, community organizers, and philanthropic representatives that span the Bay Area arts ecology and beyond.
- The chance to become part of a vibrant, socially engaged, heart-centered community in the arts, one that has a beautiful little space that will come to feel like your second home.
We are no longer accepting applications for the Community-Engaged Arts Presenting & Event Production Internship at this time. For more information on the program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.