The Red Poppy Art House is a multidisciplinary arts space that offers cultural experiences which empower and transform society through engaging communities in performance, visual arts and other integrative initiatives. We seek to develop and implement an innovative and sustainable model for small-scale arts presenting. As a performance space, the Red Poppy Art House presents a diverse and international program of artists working in both traditional and contemporary performing arts.
RPAH produces an average of 140 multi-disciplinary performance events per year, featuring music, poetry, dance, and literary events, as well as offering workshops and lectures. The culturally diverse programming offers an intimate window into the rich and complex intersection of cultural traditions and contemporary trends, both locally in the Bay Area and internationally throughout the world. Through its programming, the Red Poppy stands as a meeting point for cultures and communities.
The Red Poppy Art House is seeking an experienced professional to oversee the direction and booking for its robust performance program. S/he will work cooperatively with the Managing Director to ensure the continuity of the organization’s existence as a conscious and creative community hub, consistently testing the boundaries of what is possible for a small space. This part-time position requires an energetic, local and international music-savvy leader with experience engaging with artists (preferably specific to performance booking).
- Direct and prompt communication with artists conducted in accordance with the Poppy’s defined curatorial criteria
- Meets all deadlines in coordination with PR/Marketing team
- Attends weekly staff meetings and is in communication with Managing Director to discuss any concerns/observations on data from the performance program
- Ensures neatness and accuracy of all performance data
- Shares tasks related to house management with Managing Director to ensure the house is well kept, particularly when task is in direct relation to performance program (e.g. maintenance of musical equipment & equipment inventory)
- Background in music, interdisciplinary performance
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of the local and international communities represented at the Poppy
- Skillful communicator who speaks and writes clearly and professionally, and is consistent with followups
- Friendly; enjoys being around artists, musicians, creative people, volunteers, and a vibrant community
- Detail-oriented; has consistent and expedient response times to RPAH staff and performing artists
- Hours: 10 hours/week (8 hours on-site)
- Compensation: $20/hour
- On-site schedule: two 4-hour shifts (Wednesdays, 11am-3pm and Fridays, 12pm-4pm)
Mandatory Meeting Schedule (within on-site work hours):
- Wednesdays, 11am-1pm: Weekly staff meetings
- Fridays, 12pm-12:30pm: Weekly planning meetings with Managing Director
- 1st and 3rd Fridays, 2pm-2:45pm: Bi-weekly marketing meetings with Managing Director and PR Team
- 3rd Mondays, 6:30pm-9pm: Monthly performance host training/meeting
If you are interested in this opportunity, please forward your resume and 3 references (two professional, one personal) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Red Poppy Art House would like to thank all applicants, however only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.
The Red Poppy Art House is an equal opportunity employer.