The Red Poppy Art House is a multidisciplinary arts space that offers cultural experiences which empower and transform society through engaging communities in performance, visual arts and other integrative initiatives. We seek to develop and implement an innovative and sustainable model for small-scale arts presenting. As a performance space, the Red Poppy Art House presents a diverse and international program of artists working in both traditional and contemporary performing arts.
RPAH produces an average of 140 multi-disciplinary performance events per year, featuring music, poetry, dance, and literary events, as well as offering workshops and lectures. The culturally diverse programming offers an intimate window into the rich and complex intersection of cultural traditions and contemporary trends, both locally in the Bay Area and internationally throughout the world. Through its programming, the Red Poppy stands as a meeting point for cultures and communities.
Director of Performance and Public Relations
The Red Poppy Art House is seeking an experienced professional to oversee the direction, booking, and publicity of its robust performance program. The Director of Performance and PR works cooperatively with the Managing Director to ensure the continuity of the organization’s existence as a conscious and creative community hub, consistently testing the boundaries of what is possible for a small space. Through the management of the PR intern team, s/he ensures that the Red Poppy Art House’s events and programs are publicized to select media outlets, online listings, social networking sites, and printed materials. S/he is responsible for overseeing all content production and developing marketing communications strategies. This part-time position requires an energetic, local and international music-savvy leader with experience engaging with artists (preferably specific to performance booking) and community members.
- Direct and prompt communication with artists conducted in accordance with the Poppy’s defined curatorial criteria
- Coordinate intern team and review all marketing content (e.g. press releases, social media, blog, printed calendar)
- Assist in writing press releases and pitch relevant stories/events to targeted media
- Conduct media outreach and cultivate curatorial/community partnerships through cross-promotional tactics
- Develop and implement creative strategies to engage wider audiences and increase visibility/accessibility of the Poppy’s programs
- Attend weekly staff/team meetings and regularly communicate with Managing Director to discuss any concerns/observations on data from the performance program
- Share tasks related to house management with Managing Director to ensure the space is well kept, particularly when task is in direct relation to performance program (e.g. maintenance of musical equipment & equipment inventory)
- Background in music/interdisciplinary performance and working experience in marketing, public relations, media and/or communications
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of the local and international communities represented at the Poppy
- Exceptional written, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Proficiency in various social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Ability to act as a leader and work effectively in a team environment (with flexibility)
- Friendly; enjoys being around artists, musicians, creative people, volunteers, and a vibrant community
- Keen attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines; consistent and expedient response times to RPAH staff, performing artists, and media inquiries
- Hours: 20-25 hours/week (20 hours on-site)
- Compensation: monthly stipend of $1,500
Mandatory Meeting Schedule (within on-site work hours):
- Wednesdays, 11am-1pm: Weekly staff meetings
- Fridays, 12pm-2pm: Weekly planning meetings with Managing Director
- Fridays, 3pm-5pm: PR/marketing meetings with intern team
- 3rd Mondays, 6:30pm-9pm: Monthly performance host training/meeting
If interested in this opportunity, please forward your resume and 3 references (two professional, one personal) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Red Poppy Art House would like to thank all applicants, however only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.
The Red Poppy Art House is an equal opportunity employer.